Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I Should Rename This Blog

(in which I am the last person to opine on the breastfeeding magazine cover bandwagon)

I should call it "Not Judging, Not Judging."  Except that I am.  I can't help it.  Why write a blog if you don't give your opinions, right?

I don't care that the mother on the infamous recent cover of TIME magazine breastfeeds her 3.5 year old.  I am definitely pro-breastfeeding, if the mother is able and willing to do so.  If it works for them, go ahead.  But what I DO care about is the fact that this child will forever be "that kid" with his mother's breast in his mouth on the cover of TIME.  Why would you do that to your child?  I can't fathom doing something like that myself.  And if you were determined to go ahead and pose for the cover, why that awful, unnatural pose?  Why not hold your baby (your 3.5 year old baby) the way a nursing mother does? 

Oh well.  In the grand scheme of things I guess the whole thing isn't that bad.  She is caring for her child, and there are way too many children in this world who don't get the benefit of a caring parent.

POST SCRIPT:  I want to amend what I wrote yesterday.  I still think that the mother could have insisted on a picture in a more natural pose, but I have to say that I am really pissed at TIME magazine for inciting this whole ridiculous kerfluffle.  Shame on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment