Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sprout

We planted our garden last Sunday. It was a week earlier than we'd planted last year, but I couldn't wait any longer! My weekends get so hectic in the springtime as it is, and I work every other Saturday. So I took advantage of sunshine and the time I had, and just hoped that it wouldn't frost. So far, so good on that count!

Last year was our first attempt at a garden. We planted cucumbers, tomatoes, one bell pepper plant, basil, and thyme in a raised bed in our backyard. We really knew next to nothing about what we were doing, besides what we gleaned from gardening sites online. And it turned out gloriously. We had more tomatoes than we knew what to do with, and ended up freezing quite a few for stews and soups. I learned that I don't like tomatoes as much as I previously thought I did! A few slices a day are plenty enough for me! But it is beyond satisfying to be able to taste the sunshine in a warm tomato from your backyard. Those grocery store things that call themselves tomatoes are just, well, they're red, and squishy, and they add another layer to your sandwich, but that's about all you can say for them.

With last year's success, we decided to expand our backyard operation. Eric dug a new bed next to the old one, and we've added summer crookneck squash, zucchini, and a jalapeno pepper plant to the mix, as well as chives, cilantro, and rosemary in containers. We're trying to grow some things from seed this year, and we seeded them directly into the ground, which I'm a bit nervous about. I just don't know how that's going to work, you know? At least with a plant, you have the tangible thing in front of you, already beginning its growth. I guess we'll just have to keep a watch on it and hopefully in a couple of weeks we'll see some little green shoots popping up! (Patience isn't exactly my strongsuit.)

Gardening is a true joy, and also a good metaphor for life. My husband and I really don't know what we're doing at all, we just get out there, get our hands dirty, and just see what happens! There's so much to learn, so many websites and books from which to glean knowledge. I guess it's a good thing it's a relatively inexpensive pastime, right? Growing up, I learned from my aunt and grandfather that working in the yard could become a hobby and a passion, and I envied their green thumbs. I never thought I could be a person who grew things. I thought it took some sort of special magic or gift. Instead, like most things in life, it really only takes a desire and some good, honest work.

No comments:

Post a Comment